Full Job Description
At Horizon, we believe that our teams are the most important part of our award-winning approach to caring for the bereaved, and we are passionately committed to investing in, and training our staff to the very highest levels. This is an important job opportunity within The Hurlet Crematorium, our newest facility in Scotland, which was recently named The Best Crematorium in Scotland at the 2022 Funeral Awards.
The Crematorium Assistant’s role involves working in the crematory in a way which is consistent with compassionately and sensitively caring for the deceased before, during and after cremation.
We are looking for a dedicated, enthusiastic individual with a good work ethic who can learn quickly and are able to work under their own initiative.
Performance in the role will be measured on the following:
- Exceptional levels of customer service for all of our customer groups
- Standards and Efficiency of Housekeeping
- A passion for maintaining tranquil memorial gardens and their upkeep under the supervision of the head gardener.
Exceptional levels of customer service for all of our customer groups
- Caring for the deceased appropriately and respectfully.
- Undertaking cremations in strict compliance with ICCM guidelines.
- Undertaking the safe and efficient operation of cremator equipment.
- Always Ensuring that the environment is suitably clean, tidy and appropriate for viewing by families and any other interested parties.
- Processing cremated remains in strict compliance with ICCM guidelines. Ensuring that cremated remains to be removed from the site are well-presented and delivered to the office promptly.
- Ensuring the safe care and accurate identification of cremated remains which are to be left in the care of the crematorium.
- Demonstrating consistently high levels of professionalism in all interactions with funeral directors, officiants, families, visiting mourners and all engineers/technicians who visit the site.
- Displaying the highest level of personal presentation, wearing the uniform which you are given, including PPE, and not digressing from the standard set.
- Suggesting improvements to Crematorium Manager.
Assisting in the Ceremony Hall
- Working with funeral directors to provide a dignified service to the public.
- Preparation of chapel for services according to denominational or non-religious requirements.
- Escorting mourners into and out of the chapel, using ethics and sympathy, dealing with enquiries and distressed mourners.
- Legal supervision of placing coffin onto catafalque.
- Safe operation and maintenance of equipment such as sound system and hall bier.
Standards and Efficiency of Housekeeping
- Completing the training programme offered by the cremator manufacturer following installation.
- Operating the cremator and ancillary equipment in line with the manufacturer’s guidelines.
- Keeping records in a neat, secure, and easily accessible way to comply with the Scottish Environmental Protection Act 1990.
- Carrying out regular checks to ensure all equipment is maintained to the highest standards, keeping logs of these maintenance checks, and notifying the Assistant Manager of any identified issues.
- Checking the coffin plate on arrival in the crematory and following all identity checks as outlined by the company policy.
- Being responsible for stock levels of consumables in the crematory, both ashes boxes and machine parts.
- Assisting with the re-cycling of metals scheme.
- Being compliant with the company Health & Safety policy and safe working practices within your area and highlighting any concerns to the Assistant Manager responsible for the Health & Safety of the site.
As part of our busy site team, you will work closely with the Manager on the plan for the gardens at this site. You will also be able to use your creativity to shape this plan.
You will be responsible for grounds maintenance activity including:
- Seasonal gardening and grounds maintenance including lawn cutting, strimming, leaf clearance, hedge cutting, litter picking, watering, weeding, pruning and planting schemes
- Memorial fixing
- Assisting with interments/preparation of plots if required
- General upkeep of our grounds
- Undertake daily machinery checks and record operator hours.
- Emptying of grounds bins and accumulated waste
- Clearing of all debris around the buildings and car-parks
- Health and Safety compliance
Assisting with Office Administration Duties
- Exceptional levels of customer service for all our customer groups:
- Demonstrating consistently high levels of professionalism in all interactions with funeral directors, officiants, families and visiting mourners.
- Displaying the highest level of personal presentation, wearing the uniform which you are given and not digressing from the standard set.
- Answering the phone in a courteous, caring and professional manner.
- Responding to all emails in a professional and timely manner.
- Implementing all funeral paperwork systems in an accurate, timely and confidential manner.
- Producing all documentation for services and cremations accurately and to the highest standards.
To be successful in this role you will
- Be willing to work towards an FCBA or ICCM qualification to operate a cremator.
- No formal qualifications are required as training will be delivered on site.
- Have basic literacy and numeracy skills.
- Demonstrate great attention to detail.
- Have practical skills and be a good problem solver.
- Be able to show initiative and manage your workload.
- Be empathetic and caring.
- Show professionalism and integrity in all your interactions.
- Take pleasure and pride in delivering excellent customer service.
- Be flexible and willing to learn whatever skills are required to make our team successful.
- Have the desire to build strong working relationships with your team members.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: £21,500.00 per year
- Company pension
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability
Supplemental pay types:
- Bonus scheme
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Glasgow, G53 7TH: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)